A former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, has denied ever making statement implicating anyone or group in the allegation of dubious $2billion arms purchase deal brought against him by the federal government.
There were reports Thursday that Mr. Dasuki, while being quizzed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, named some prominent Nigerians among those who got huge funds from his office while he was NSA.
But Mr. Dasuki, who spoke through his lawyer, Ahmed Raji, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, said he never made any implicating statement or named anyone to EFCC and wondered where the authors got their information from.
“I was with Dasuki yesterday and wish to make categorical statement that my client never made any statement of such nature or named anybody or group in any statement,” PRNigeria quoted Mr. Raji as saying.
“Quote me anywhere, Dasuki has not done anything like that. It is absolutely untrue. It is the figment of the imagination of the authors aimed at creating falsehood for reasons best known to them and Nigerians should disregard them.
“They are just out to scandalise the man, bring his image and character into disrepute so that his friends and well wishers can run away from him. They want him deserted and that will fail.”
The reports were published by the Daily Post. In the initial article, it was said that Dasuki, had opened a can of worms regarding the $2bn arms deal, saying the money was shared among some ex-governors, Chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and former Ministers, The Nation reports.
The paper quoted a source from the EFCC who said: “When Dasuki was brought in, he initially refused to write any statement, alleging that he had been subjected to media trial.
“I think the ex-NSA decided not to open up based on the advice of his lawyers that he should leave everything for the open court.
“The EFCC operatives, however, obliged Dasuki a copy of the statement by a former Director of Finance in the Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA, Shaibu Salisu in which the latter made some implicating statements.
“Dasuki, who was shocked by Salisu’s confessions, repeatedly asked: ‘You mean Salisu wrote all these! You mean he said these! Give me a pen and paper’.
“Thereafter, he gave a long list of PDP chieftains who collected money from the Office of the NSA.”
Meanwhile, The trial of Colonel Sambo Dasuki has again been stalled following the filing of a fresh application by the federal government seeking to stop the execution of the bail granted to the accused person on November 3, 2015.
During Thursday’s proceedings, the federal government appointed a private legal practitioner, Oladipupo Okpeseyitan, SAN, to continue the prosecution of Mr. Dasuki.
Mr. Okpeseyitan, after announcing his appearance, told the trial judge, Justice Adeniyi Ademola that he had just been briefed to handle the case through a fiat of the Attorney General of the Federation authorizing him to take over the prosecution of the case.
He also told the court that he has filed a new application seeking to stay the execution or further execution of the order of the court delivered on November 3, 2015.
He added that the federal government was not in disobedience of the order of the court granting bail to the accused person.
Lawyer to the accused person, Mr Ahmed Raji, however, objected to the hearing of the application saying it was not ripe for hearing.
He told the court that he had just been served with the motion in court, adding that he needed time to respond to the motion.
Justice Adeniyi Ademola subsequently adjourned the case till December 8.